What is a Special Event?
Whether you are planning a 5k race, concert, parade, or even a neighborhood block party some events need a permit. For example, if you are requesting a street closure, planning to serve or sell alcohol, or renting a Town of Wellington park or facility you will need a Special Events permit.
Do I need a permit?
- Will you be serving or selling alcohol?
- Will you be using amplified sound, other than for announcements or a simple 'boom box'?
- Will you have vendors at the event who are selling goods or services, like a yoga class?
- Will you be using any temporary structures, like tents, bleachers or stages?
- Will your event close or change the traffic pattern of a street or alley?
- Will your event impact the public use of a park or natural resource?
- Will your event have more than 50 people?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, you will most likely need to apply for and obtain a Special Event Permit.
What's the deadline to submit a permit?
Your completed special event application, with all fees, must be submitted no later than 60 days before your event. New events will need additional time to go through the Special Event Review Committee, so please plan accordingly.
Park & Facility Rentals
Parks and facilities rentals are managed through the Recreation Department, not through Special Events. If you are interested in renting a park pavilion or a town facility for private use, please visit the Facilities and Use Rentals page for more information.
- Application Fee: $25, except for block parties
- Annual Vendor Fee: $25 per vendor
- Note: Vendor must provide their State Sales Tax ID#. Please include this information in your vendor list.
- Daily Park Rental: $100
- Note: A Special Event Park Rental does not include the usage of sports field facilities. Applicants will be referred to the "Outdoor/Field Facility Use Guidelines and Procedures."
- Fencing Rental: $480 for 1,300 feet of fencing
- Note: If additional fencing is needed, the applicant would need to provide on their own.
- Electric Distribution Panel for Temporary Power Rental: $50 a day
- Refundable Deposit: $250
Fill out the Special Events Permit Application.
The Town recognizes the Communities Activities Commission (CAC) as exempt from special event fees.
- Sponsored by non-profit organizations that have documented Federal 501c3 or 501c6 status; and
- Directly benefit town supported programs, activities, or facilities; and
- Supports the local economy
The following events are not eligible for a special event fee waiver:
a. Events presented by for-profit organizations or private individuals
b. Events or activities that are not open to the public
c. Organizations whose revenue is substantially derived from the sale of firearms, weapons, tobacco and marijuana products, gambling, or sexually-explicit materials.
d. Political organizations or organizations whose primary purpose or event is to act on behalf of, in support of, or in oppositions to any political candidate, ballot measure or political position.
e. Events that discriminate on the grounds of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, sex and gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, political affiliation, age; or any other protected class under federal or state law.